Actually this "feature" has been implemened since Firefox 13.0 and Firefox 14.0 has just carried on with this setting. There is currently no easily-accessible user interface setting to change that. In order to set your new tab homepage to say a blank page, you need to do the following :
- In Firefox, enter about:config in the address bar.
- Simply click through when asked about "This might void your warranty". No worries about that screen, it's a joke. Firefox is a free software so you don't get any kind of warranty actually.
- Search for the newtab setting by simply typing "newtab" in the search box (as shown in the screenshot above).
- Double-click on the setting browser.newtab.url and set it to about:blank which gives you a blank page if that's what you want.
- Optionally, you can set this to any other homepage you like.
- In Firefox, enter about:config in the address bar (or remain in the config page if you're already there).
- Search for the smooth-scroll setting by simply typing "smoothscroll" in the search box (as shown in the screenshot above).
- Double-click on the setting general.smoothScroll to set it to false.
Hope this helps.
(Update : this works for later Firefox versions as well, so far it's worked fine with Firefox 15 and Firefox 16).
See also :
1. How to fix color management problems in Mozilla Firefox